If you could ask Louis Menand to write about any topic, what would it be? Would you ask him to profile someone famous? Would you ask him to critique a book or film? Or would you ask him to write about a certain period in history? Topics submitted by fans:
- Jane Austen, to restore her real ironic genius and remove her from the hands of the Merchant/Ivory-Book Club crowd
- The relationship between philosophical ideas and aesthetic theory over time.
- Ian McEwan’s upcoming novel On Chesil Beach and previous work
- The legacy of Larry Summers
- A profile on David Foster Wallace
- The “Lost Generation” of literary Americans living in Paris between the wars
- Immigration’s effects on American intellectual culture from Civil War to WWII
- Film Noir
- Ayn Rand and her lasting influence
- Paul Auster’s Travels in the Scriptorium and previous work
- Daniel Mendelsohn, his career and criticism
- Terry Eagleton, his criticism and views on literary theory
We’d love to hear from you, and we’ll post interesting topics to our Wish List.